A motor vehicle accident can be one of the most traumatic events in a person’s life, both from a physical perspective and an emotional perspective.
The most common injury resulting from an automobile accident is whiplash, occurring from the sudden acceleration (or deceleration) of the head and neck during collisions. Patients affected with whiplash generally complain of neck pain, stiffness, and in some cases, the symptoms do not appear until several days after the accident. For many patients, the pain is mild and gradually improves over the coming weeks. However, for some people, the recovery process can be extremely slow and painful.
At Care Plus Physiotherapy Clinic, we have found that a combination of several treatments is often the best way to help car accident patients return to their pre-accident function. These treatments can include one or more of the following therapy techniques:
Education is the most important aspect of recovery, as understanding the nature of soft tissue healing allows the patient to fully participate in the rehabilitation process.
– Passive joint mobilization can reduce pain through gentle, repetitive movements of the joints in the neck region.
– Strengthening and conditioning programs helps to ensure patients remain active after their accident, to prevent pain due to stiffness.
– Acupuncture can help to reduce the symptoms that are associated with motor vehicle accidents.
– Electrical modalities such as Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation (TENS), Interferential Current (IFC), Ultrasound, and low-power laser treatment helps patients return to their normal daily activities by decreasing pain and tissue inflamation.
– Massage therapy can be a great relief of muscle aches caused by motor vehicle accidents.